Sunday, October 31, 2010

A New Sherlock for the 21st Century


The new PBS version of Sherlock Holmes is a must-see. The story has been updated to the 21st century, and two young actors have assumed the roles of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson. I was skeptical because I am a huge fan of Basil Rathbone and Jeremy Brett as the movie and TV actors playing Sherlock. I am also fond of the Victorian setting of the original stories, which were my son's bedtime readings until he got too old for me to read to him. The 21st century hasn't hurt the compelling stories and excellent performances though. Tune in to PBS 13 on Sundays at 9PM. The game is afoot!

Vocabulary

a must-see (n) -- a place, film, or exhibit that you should see
update (v) -- to bring up to date
assume (v) -- to take on
skeptical (adj) -- not believing
Victorian (adj) -- related to the time in which Queen Victoria was Queen of England (1837-1901)
compelling (adj) -- forceful, persuasive

"The game is afoot." -- a quote that is often said by Sherlock Holmes in the stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and that means that the investigation has begun

Exercise: Fill in the correct word in the blanks:
The love story of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert is ____________. A recent movie about their love was a ____________. It was great! At first, I was ___________ about the quality of the movie but went to see it anyway. It was nice to see ___________ costumes and furnishings. I have ___________ my knowledge of the time by doing some online research, so perhaps I will soon be able to __________ the role of an expert.

Grammar Point:
The present perfect tense is formed by using has/have + the past participle of the verb. Can you find two examples in the paragraph? How is this tense used? Write two sentences using the present perfect form of the verbs.

1 comment:

Fun With Words said...

Thanks for the tip about the new Sherlock Holmes...unfortunately I have never been much of a fan. If you recommend it I must check it out. Thanks for sharing Jackie!