Thursday, January 23, 2014

Family and the Holidays


This holiday season my family and I were lucky enough to spend time together. The photo is of me with my mother and my baby brother, George. Unexpectedly, this weekend some of my cousins also arrived for visits, so we had some fun lunches and reminiscences. When family members get together, they invariably remember those relatives who are deceased. We talked about my paternal grandmother and great aunts, who always created the most delicious feasts for the holidays. I gave my cousin some recipes from our Aunt Doll, and we tried to figure out how my grandmother and Aunt Doll made the scrumptious stuffing for the turkey. We decided to get together again in May and share old photos and more memories.

Vocabulary

reminiscences (noun) -- memories

deceased (adjective) -- dead

paternal (adjective) -- father's

delicious (adjective) -- tasty

recipes (noun) -- instructions for making food

figure out (verb) -- guess

scrumptious (adjective) -- very tasty


Vocabulary Exercise:

Our father is no longer with us on holidays because he is _______________ (not alive).

My __________ grandmother had many ________________ for ________________ holiday food that we can use to make the food again.

We cannot remember how to make my aunt's favorite cake, so we want to ________________ what ingredients go into it.

One of our favorite _____________  or memories is of  my mother's ____________ popovers that we loved so much.


                               Popovers
Grammar Point: Adjectives are words that tell about a noun: big, small, happy, lovely, interesting, beautiful and thankful are all adjectives.  The adjectives scrumptious and delicious have something in common in addition to meaning. What is it? Can you think of any other endings that adjectives have? Write sentences using the adjectives from the paragraph I wrote.



16 comments:

Miss Daly said...

Nice entry. That is great you were able to share memories with your family.

Tom McCay said...

I like how you simply indicated what part of speech the vocabulary words were. It is both such a simple piece of information to include and I can't believe I did not include them in my vocabulary work the first time. Thanks for the reminder!

Tom McCay said...

I like that you included the parts of speech with your vocabulary words. It is such a simple concept to include, but it is so important for an ELL to know. i will definitely add that part to my own blogs.

RFranckowski said...

It sounds like you had a great holiday with your family reminiscing about your relatives and all the fun experiences you had cooking together. I also enjoy getting together with my family during the holidays and hearing stories about what they're currently doing and sharing our memories of past holidays. I appreciate your picture of the popovers; they're a favorite in my family as well.

Ms. Marra's Class said...

I definitely love getting together with the entire family over the holidays. It's good to remember and reminisce about previous years and the times shared between family. That is without a doubt, my favorite part about the holidays.

I really liked the explanation in your grammar point and your vocabulary activity!

Ms. Marra's Class said...

I definitely enjoy the holiday time of year to meet and reminisce with extended family. Whenever we all get together we always share family stories of family over the years. Seeing family is without a doubt, my favorite part of the holidays.

I really liked your description in the grammar point and your vocabulary activity!

Kathleen M said...

Sounds like my family. Holiday's and family parties are a big part of my family. Always surrounded by love and food.

Kathleen M said...

Sounds just like my family parties. Lots of food and laughs. I love the descriptive words!

Kathleen M said...

Sounds just like my family parties. Lots of food and laughs. I love the descriptive words!

Kathleen M said...

Sounds just like my family parties. Lots of food and laughs. I love the descriptive words!

Kathleen M said...

Sounds just like my family parties. Lots of food and laughs. I love the descriptive words!

Hannah F. said...

Your holiday sounds delightful! It is such a special time to get to share with family and friends. I love all of the conversations had during the holidays! It sounds like your family was extra lucky this year to have special visitors! I hope you can see each other again soon to have more lovely visits! I also love the grammar rule you used--adjectives--those are the best way to describe family!

Bianca Alexa said...

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this blog, it was great to gain insight about your family and what you do for the holidays. I also enjoyed the pictures and the activities. It was a very interesting blog.

Ms. Brittanys Blog said...

This blog entry was a delight to read! It is always fun and enjoyable to take a glimpse into what others do for the holidays!

Suzanne Schalk said...

The holidays are great times to spend with your family. It sounds like you had an amazing holiday and created such great memories that will last a life time. The activity that you included with your blog is very detailed and would help any ESL student. Great Blog!

vidhatanand said...

Hey thanks as you included the parts of speech with your vocabulary words.
Keep sharing your memories.