Sunday, February 2, 2020

My Hobbies

Although I don't have much spare time, I do have a few hobbies that I enjoy. The first is embroidery, which is using a needle and thread to create pictures and to write names or sayings on cloth. I can also sew clothes, and I have a collection of thimbles that help me when I am sewing.  In pursuit of improving my skills, I even attended the Royal School of Needlework in London, where I learned how to embroider with gold and silver threads. The second is crocheting, which is very relaxing. I make everyday things, such as potholders and handkerchiefs. And the final one is baking, which I do more frequently than the others. My family and friends are very happy with all my hobbies, but especially with my baking. They love to eat my cookies, cupcakes, and cakes. I wish I had more time to work on my hobbies, but I am too busy.
Starting a crocheting project

Crocheted lace trim and embroidered initial K

Sewing the cuff of my blouse

My very first quilting project

My thimbles

Vocabulary
spare time (idiom) -- free time

hobbies (noun) -- interesting and creative things to do when you are not working

embroidery (noun) -- creating pictures, words and so on with a needle and thread

needle (noun) -- a sharp, pointy metal object for sewing

thread (noun) -- a long piece of cotton, nylon, wool, or silk used for sewing
thimble (noun) -- a small metal cap that protects your finger when you sew
in pursuit of (prepositional phrase) -- in order to, for this purpose

Royal School of Needlework logoRoyal School of Needlework (proper noun) -- a special school for learning about embroidery
London (proper noun) -- the capital of Great Britain

crocheting (noun) [crochet-verb] -- making something with a hook and yarn

Our Anju with her crocheted yellow blankie




Vocabulary Exercise: Fill in the blanks with the correct vocabulary word.

1. When sewing or doing ___________, I  need a ___________, __________, and ___________.
2. I like when I am not working. In my _________  _________, I can practice my ____________  for fun and to create new things.
3. When I lived in _____________, I attended the __________  ___________ ___  ___________  to learn about working with gold threads.
4. In __________ of improving my ______________ , I make small cat blankets.

Grammar: Common and Proper Nouns
Some of the  nouns in the entry are common nouns and others are proper nouns. Common nouns are written in lower case letters, whereas proper nouns are in upper case. Write five sentences in which you use both a common noun and a proper noun, Be sure to use the correct capitalization. For example, in the following sentence, you should capitalize the city Paris and the first word of the sentence:  my sister lived in paris for a year. -- My sister lived in Paris for a year.

 
 

16 comments:

Kayla Cavale said...

I love how invested you are in your hobbies. My aunt is actually BIG into quilting and embroidery. She is always making things for her grandchildren.

Kayla Cavale said...

I love how invested you are in your hobbies. My aunt actually quilts a lot and is into embroidery as well. She is always making new things for her grandchildren.

Alissa said...

I really like the picture of your cat with your crocheted blanket! Members of my family also like crocheting and I love using the blankets they make! I also like your activity. This helps the students reference the text to understand the vocabulary.

Heather McAllister said...

Hi Dr. Nenchin,

I really enjoyed your blog post. I think the content was interesting and the pictures you included added to the description in your writing. I especially loved the picture with your cat! Your vocabulary exercise was very clear as was your short lesson on common and proper nouns.

Dana Hartmann said...

This is such a cool hobby! I work at Michael's (the arts and crafts store), and we sell a bunch of materials for both embroidery and crochet! I don't know if you already knew this or not, but Michael's also has a teacher discount that will take 15% off your entire purchase. I always let my professors know about the discount when they bring things to class that I know we sell at my job. Your thimble collection is really pretty, by the way! I look forward to class tonight!

Samantha Fischetto said...

You have some really interesting hobbies and seem very creative. I wish I knew how to do embroidery and crocheting. It seems relaxing and fun! I enjoy baking too especially during the holiday season. My family and I make a ton of homemade cookies for Christmas.

Alissa said...

I like the picture of your cat with the crocheted blanket! Members of my family also like crocheting and I love using the blankets they make.I also like your vocabulary activity. It encourages the students to relook at the text and remember the definitions.

samm said...

Wow you have a lot of hobbies! That is so awesome that you attended the Royal School in London! I have never been there, I'm sure it is beautiful! I love to bake as well!

Nicole Fochi said...

Hi Dr. Nenchin,

I enjoyed reading your blog post about embroidery and crocheting. I have never attempted either, but I give you so much credit for your patience and dedication to the craft. That is amazing that you went to the Royal School of Needlework in London. I am interested to learn more about that experience!
I have heard before that crocheting is therapeutic and relaxing, just like you mentioned. I like baking too, but do not do it very often. I am sure your cookies, cupcakes, and cakes are delicious!

-Nicole Fochi

Anonymous said...

I have always wanted to learn how to crochet. I once took a crocheting class at A.C Moore. My grandmother also tried to teach me when I was younger. I've never been able to figure it out, but I'll keep trying.

Cinthya said...

I didn't know what busy was until I became a teacher! I can imagine how busy you are and I think it's awsome that you work on your hobbies in your spare time. I'm impressed with your skills and your beautiful crafts.I have always wanted to learn how to crochet, but have yet to do so. The one hobby that we do share in common is baking! I love to bake and cook, especially for my family. I make all kinds of foods and like you, I enjoy the satisfaction of eating good food surrounding by the people I love.

Nicole Scicutella said...

I really enjoyed reading your blog. I know so many teachers and professors that love to crochet on their spare time. Reading your blog about your baking made me think of my mother. My mom lives for her baking and so does our family and friends! I'm impressed with some of your outcomes in your pictures. I wish I had the time to learn how to do relaxing hobbies like that.

Sweet Caroline said...

I learned how to knit a long time ago but when I tried to make a scarf, the sides kept on rolling up onto itself! Although I do not have the skill set you have, I did enjoy knitting and the calm it created I me. Your hobbies are a wonderful way to relax and the pieces you have displayed are intricate and very beautiful.

Robby Keane said...

My grandmother is extremely into knitting and sewing so it is really cool to see another person who has passion for a similar hobby. I also don't have that much spare time but I do my best to make myself available to participating in hobbies. One thing I would really like to start doing is playing the guitar! I really like the pictures you put on the end of your post they look great!

Unknown said...

I use to knit and crochet. I haven't seen a thimble in some time. I love your collection. When I was younger I found crocheting to be soothing. Throw blankets were great since it was super cold in Connecticut.

Naomi said...

I loved sewing and crocheting. When I was in middle school I made throws and scarves all of the time, especially living in Connecticut. I lobe the throw you have for the cat in the picture. Great thimble collection.