Saturday, October 25, 2008

My Family and Halloween

We don't celebrate Halloween because we are Orthodox Christians. My house is not decorated for Halloween, but I do give out candy to children who are trick or treating. I allow my son to dress up but never in any costumes that represent evil and then only because I understand that the celebration for most Americans is benign. For us, the struggle against evil is real and palpable, and decorations and costumes that consist of devils, witches, and other such representatives of evil are offensive. Our priests admonish us to refrain from participating in Halloween events.

In our Faith, saints, the Virgin Mary, and Jesus Christ are represented on icons, before which we pray to those depicted thereon, as to Heavenly intercessors. The images of Halloween and what they represent are an antithesis to these icons.

Halloween is not the only holiday that causes problems for our ESL students. What might some others be?

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

Hi Professor Nenchin. I had the chance to read your blog on Halloween. I find it very interesting. I have never been very big into Halloween myself, perhaps because I was raised in a pretty religious Roman Catholic home- considering the time period we live in. I absolutely dislike haunted houses and scary movies. I share your opinion and do not like demonic costumes. Although, I do conform to the occasional costume party every now and again and do love candy. I always dress up as an angel or a hippie or something. You brought up a good point about holidays that might be hard for ESL students. I suppose every holiday we celebrate could be hard for ESL students, depending on where they come from and what their customs are. I had never thought of Halloween in that light. It's a different way to look at the holiday.

Teacher: Jackie said...

Yes, religious families often have objections to Halloween.