Monday, February 28, 2011

Another Year at the Oscars

I always have the Oscars on my TV even if i don't watch every minute. This year was more interesting than usual with the charming young co-hosts and the beneficent linguistic shadow of the King's Speech hanging over the proceedings. And no one was surprised when the movie and Colin Firth won. That lack of surprise itself is perhaps the mark of greatness -- a performance so impeccable and outstanding that everyone knows it will win. I still haven't seen it because I can't afford the time right now, but I will soon. Yet every short clip of the movie makes me sure that I will love it, and I have always loved Geoffrey Rush's and Colin Firth's work.

What great performances and performers stick out in your memory? There are some that I watch over and over, and I believe that no one will ever replace them in my heart or mind. I think the greatest film of all time is Casablanca, the greatest actress is Ingrid Bergman, and there are a few actors contending for the greatest actor -- Humphrey Bogart, Jimmy Stewart, Anthony Hopkins (I lived in the same London neighborhood as his 1st wife and daughter, whom I met), Sebastian Koch (the German actor), and Johnny Depp. Who are your favorites?

4 comments:

Karen said...

Every year I look forward to the Oscars. I usually try to see a few of the nominees before the big night. Unfortunately, this year I was not able to see any of the movies nominated. Just the other day, I did rent "The Social Network." I found the movie to be quite interesting. Hopefully I will get around to seeing some of the others. I too would love to see "The King's Speech"

Karen said...

Every year I look forward to the Oscars. I usually try to see a few of the nominees before the big night. Unfortunately, this year I was not able to see any of the movies nominated. Just the other day, I did rent "The Social Network." I found the movie to be quite interesting. Hopefully I will get around to seeing some of the others. I too would love to see "The King's Speech"

Action ESL by Gila said...

Watching the Oscars is like watching a really intense critic's review of movies over the past year. I like watching them so that i know what to see, since I do not attend the movies very often. Some of my favorite actors would have to include Robert De Niro, Edward norton, kevin Spacey, Will Ferrell, to name a few.

Unknown said...

This year I made a goal to see all 10 Oscar nominated films. I did not decide to do this until 2-3 weeks before the show was to air though so it was not that easy to accomplish. Having seen all 10 movies I definitely think The King's Speech should have won, along with Colin Firth. I do think nominating 10 movies rather than 5 this year was a bit much but I see why since there were so many amazing movies this year.