Monday, March 14, 2011

Shootings in My Hometown

Two deaths in a quiet neighborhood and no answers about the senselessness of them ... these are my thoughts. The young man who menaced a woman is dead, and a detective rushing to help is dead at the hands of another police officer. The woman who called 911 is wondering if they would still be alive if she hadn't called.

I don't have time for a linguistic analysis of the newspaper articles right now, but I can't help but note that the young man is called "a man" with a knife, which I suppose technically he is, or rather was, but when you see his face, you know he was barely out of boyhood and probably in need of help. Our boys, my son and his neighborhood friends, but a year younger, are still in college, not grown men yet really. And they knew the fellow from town, had seen his knives, and had spoken to him in passing.

As the police entered his home, his father asked them not to kill his son. But his son, cornered in his own room, burst out of it with knives swinging at and threatening officers. Was there some other way to handle this? We will never know. But now two families are burying their dead, and there is a sense that it was all senseless.

An afterthought...
Whenever a young person is troubled, getting him or her help would seem the right thing to do, but it is not easy, especially if he or she is over 18. Parents are helpless to force their children into care, and the suffering child is likely to not seek help on his/her own. The rate of untreated depression among college students, for example, is near 66%. There is a wonderful organization called NAMI, which can be of help with information and which advocates for the mentally ill in public forums, such as legislatures.

5 comments:

ccorrigan said...

As you know, I live in the same town and I was horrified by the events last week. I totally agree that it was completely senseless. I was left wondering, how does that happen? It seems like a massive amount of miscommunication on all ends. I had no idea that the number of people suffering from depression was so high, especially among college students. It’s really quite disturbing. I think the information that you offered pertaining to NAMI may be very helpful to some people.

Susan Feltman said...

I agree wholeheartedly. Parents know that turning 18 does not mean you are really an adult able to make rational well-thought out decisions when the day before you were considered a minor. It is a big deal and a right of passage, but a milestone that is arbitrary and, in this case, tragic.

Teacher: Jackie said...

Yes, it was a heartbreaking event all around.

Interesting ESL By Ashley said...

I live in Babylon, not far from you, but hadn't heard about this... perhaps I've been side tracked by the highly publicized "GILGO HOMICIDES". This is absolutely terrible, and of course, how could one not ask the question, of whether or not it could have been prevented. I feel that incidences such as these happen all too often, where peoples emotions, and adrenaline are up and their actions are hasty. I wonder if they had just taken a few minutes to take a step back, speak and communicate, before they reacted, all of this could've been handled much differently.

Action ESL by Gila said...

Honestly, I can not believe I live so close to those murders. It is very unsettling to me. There are definitely some sick and disturbed people in this world.